Sunday, April 14, 2013

~Silence~

People ask me sometimes why I didn't set the story in a different country, like America or Ireland. Setting is so integral to a story, that if I set it elsewhere, it would not be the same story.

I thought about Ireland, but a. I don't read Gaelic, so finding period sources would be difficult. b. I don't think I could write in brogue, certainly not well. c. They didn't have forests either.

America had forests in spades, and I have the advantage of living here. However, if finding source material on Ireland is hard, 18th century Native American sources are just about impossible, and would be of limited use. And what's an English gent doing over here anyway? I concluded that the setting just wasn't going to work out with the plot, and that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment