Thursday, April 25, 2013

Feathers and teacups

If you look over the last few pages and happen to notice feathers, blood, and a hastily extinguished fire, you're more observant than he is.

Usually I am pretty good at identifying what something is. When knowledge fails, my google-fu is strong. I ID'd a woman from the 20's once with just an old photograph (but that's another story). Today I have a mystery cup and saucer on my desk and I cannot identify the maker. Which of course bugs me to pieces.

It's about 100 years old, give or take 20 years, black transferware piece, no makers mark. It's shaped more like a coffee cup than a teacup, and it's patterned all over with feathers (maybe leaves?). Feathers are vertical, point downward, in several rows,  and connected by loop-de-loops. There's also some black geometric hatchwork going on. The effect looks like Native American art crossed with Art Deco. It's very distinctive and kind of mesmerizing. I feel like I've seen something like it before, and I can't remember where....

No comments:

Post a Comment