Thursday, April 4, 2013

Secretaries and pocketwatches, sans drama.

This was one of the first pages I drew. It was part of an intro that seemed to be serving no purpose, so I'm glad I could reuse it here. That kind of desk is called a secretary. They contain a bunch of cubbies for sorting mail and a variety of small drawers, but their main feature is that they close up. That board the book is laying on is hinged. It folds up to a 45' angle and often locks shut, to keep out snoops perhaps. An annotated version of Pride and Prejudice noted that letters were penned in the library rather than in private. I am not sure why that was the custom, but I doubt Mr. Darcy would not have put up with Miss Bingley's pestering and interference if he had the option.

I'm so proud of that watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment