Thursday, July 14, 2011

Why I don't do prints

About 15 years ago, print technology improved to the point where mass produced prints were marketed as art. They were expensive to start with. Do you remember the Thomas Kinkade kiosks in the mall? These prints still had the veneer of art; they came with certificates of authenticity and very slick salesmen. Couple thousand, those. People saw the money involved and it really opened the door to mass production.

These days, everyone has access to a printer, photocopier, or cheap printing company. If your paintings aren't selling, everyone tells you to make copies, er, 'prints' and try to sell those cheaper, 'so that everyone can buy them.' This shotgun approach may work for some artists, but I don't favor it.

It's partly about the money. Say I get some prints made. My problems are multiplied. Instead of 1 painting, I suddenly have 10 copies, or 50. I've put good money into them, so they MUST sell, or else sit and molder away under my bed. What are my chances of making back the cost of the first painting plus printing?

Then, it's about the time. Instead of painting, which I enjoy, I'm spending half of my time marketing. I could pay someone to do it for me; see MONEY, above. But how motivated will they be?

Then, it's about the artistry. In time, I will only paint things that have a chance of selling. Not the things that inspire, or explorations that might not pan out. At this point, am I an artist or a producer of pedigreed posters?

No comments:

Post a Comment