Saturday, July 23, 2011

Seasons Greetings -new & improved!

For many years I hated Christmas. Hated the season, hated the music, hated working 70 hour weeks for the month of December (to put myself through college) and still had no money to buy decent presents for people. People think you're a better friend when you give them good gifts. I remember one Christmas Day my present to myself was a pound of bacon, a tomato, and a head of lettuce. I did absolutely nothing that day and ate all the BLTs I wanted and it was fabulous.

But I digress. Working with these Homeless Santas has given me a new respect for the season. It's like I feed all my unhappiness into them and walk away smiling. I think my main problem with Christmas now (aside from the bad Christmas carol remixes they play over and over) is the lack of creativity in the gift-giving. People are giving the same bath salts and badly scented candles and puff-painted ornaments to each other, year after year. These are things you give to each other because the season requires it. No one really wants to give them. No one really wants to get them. They could at least be creative gifts, but most things that CAN be done with Christmas HAVE been done, and to death. Since I see little chance of correcting this problem, I suggest giving Halloween presents instead.

Severed heads? Fair game. Vampire fangs, face paint, lingerie, fake blood? Homemade sweets? Fun, fun stuff, unlike the horror that is store-bought fruitcake. With all this Twilight and True Blood crap, not to mention the classics like Dracula, and a TON of horror films.....there's a lot of inspiration out there. I mean, the field is wide open and the possibilities are endless.

So get some friends, some booze, and some bad movies and start brainstorming. Over the next few weeks I will chime in with some creative suggestions of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment