Thursday, May 2, 2013

Temptation

So, I work with an astonishing variety of objects, some old, some valuable...and it can be hard to put a price on something when I covet it and want to take it home with me. Fortunately, I've seen so much of this-and-that over the years that it takes something very special to tempt me. This special comes in two flavors: a. outstanding craftsmanship and b. "projects."

There is so much mass-produced junk in the world that whenever I run across something that is exquisitely made I have to feast my eyes on it for a while. For several months I've eyed a Limoges plate hand-painted with chrysanthemums and chased in gold.... and an antique chocolate-pot in flowery teal & gold. Today the bait was a pair of vintage hand-stitched leather boots that would look right at home at any SCA event or rendezvous. I know leatherwork enough to say the crafter was very skilled. If they were women's shoes I would have bought them....

The other thing I am a sucker for is a "project," something made of 1/4 inspiration and 3/4 good intentions. Until I get two wooden lamps restored I tell myself I have no call to take on more projects. So the 1940s dressmakers dummy with clawfoot base was pretty easy to pass up. It would look great as shabby chic décor- or, as it's about my size, it could be dismantled and used as a basis for plate armor- but personally I think someone ought to buy it and steampunk the hell out of it. Yet I'm struggling to juggle too many projects as it is.

I'll end this post with a short song from Utena with the apt title Temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment