Thursday, May 30, 2013

Strychnine & Firearms Curiosa

I was told this morning that someone donated a doctor's bag from the early 1800s, including tools and a bottle of strychnine. I have not seen this bag yet (and I kind of doubt the "early 1800s" assessment), but it will be sent my way at some point. It's like waiting for Christmas! Grr!

I picked up a book called Firearms Curiosa, about really unusual antique firearms. The designs are sometimes steampunk and oftimes bizarre. A pistol-calendar? A glove-mounted pistol? A miniature cannon-sundial that can be set to go off at a certain hour, alarm-clock style? This is accomplished by placing a magnifying glass where the sun will shine through and ignite the powder. This was just flipping through, mind you. I look forward to reading the book. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment