Sunday, September 25, 2011

Good photos vs great ones

I admit, I'm not the world's most devoted photographer. I like creating things. Really, it is just that simple. Photographing, marketing, and selling them afterward is something I have learned to do to keep from being buried alive in art. Ok, the money is nice too. Being a minimum wage faery is not all it's cracked up to be.

I realized that the single image I had of most of my paintings was inadequate. People like to have an idea of the paintings scale. The best measurement I have is myself (several of my paintings are just that big). So myself and two dozen paintings went out in the backyard. 100 mosquito bites later, I have my photos. If I seem to be glaring in them, that's what it is. Nothing personal. Ok, so I hate being photographed. It's still nothing personal.

Photographing sculpture is a whole different kettle of fish. I was taught in art school to photograph things against a white or 20% grey background. I started off doing that, but it just wasn't working for me. The contrast is too high, and the colors look dark and burnt despite Photoshop's best efforts.

Much as the guys at Regretsy like to make fun of reclaimed barn wood, photographing against a wood background gets me my best results. Have a look at this guy, I call him Trash Fire Santa. For max irony, the can is a candleholder:
White background meh, nothing special, wood background... just works. Which one would you rather pay $175 for?

No comments:

Post a Comment