Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Lumberjack pants and mysterious glass thingies

Something I've noticed about vintage clothes:
the weirder and uglier they are, the more some people are willing to pay for them. I'm talking in particular about a pair of men's vintage pants, in an eye-popping red plaid wool. I'm sure they're warm. I do like some of the detailing, like the watch pocket - how many pants do you see with watch pockets any more? There are buttons inside the waistband that will fasten to your suspenders (braces), and you don't see that much either. But the color and the elastic cuffs at the ankle? The pants would look at home on a lumberjack or a clown. I think they're for hunting, actually. The starting price on the auction is $39.99.

Now I have more mysterious glass objects! 
These were with a bunch of drink stirs, but they're thicker and heavier than any drink stir I've seen. 
They're 1.2 oz each, or 4x the weight of that Sharpie. 
It's a very purposeful shape, isn't it? 
Do they curl hair? Tatt lace? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've finished reading A Woodland Feast: Native American Foodways of the 17th & 18th Centuries, and have started reading The Pageantry of Elizabethan England. Pageantry is a very tongue-in-cheek account of Elizabeth's reign, so if you find most histories too tedious, give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment