Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Oh, this will end well!

It's good to see them having fun.

"En garde" tells the fighters to take their stance.
"Allez" is the signal to begin.

"Coming out" is the coming-of-age ritual for girls at this time. Technically I think it means being presented at court, but most novels gloss over that in favor of describing the huge, over-the-top ball. A girl could not be courted or appear at social events until she had come out.

Imention this because I was trying to figure out if there was an equivalent for boys. I am not sure there was. They were breeched between 4 and 8, but I don't think that made them men. Perhaps the nearest equivalent for a young gentleman was attending university, which they might do starting as young as 15. As for when they could engage in business, or attend social events, I don't know. Blackadder and Horrible Histories both spoof William Pitt the Younger, but I see he was 24 before he became Prime Minister, even though he was portrayed as a schoolboy.

You know, I thought I wrote down which university Stephen will be attending, and which one Allen attended, but I can't find it now, and I can't remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment