Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Page 10: Alien encounter!

Joking! Not quite the 'little green man' in any case.

Sometimes I think I write because I can't get away with tormenting real people this way.

I'm going to whine about materials for a minute, because they cost me money. I've now worn out 2 brushes on this project. The second one quit after only 40 pages. It was a something-Simmons (the writing has rubbed off) #1 brush, which I only bought because Hobby Lobby doesn't stock Loew-Cornell brand. My Loew-Cornell #0 did about 5-6 chapters of rough drafts before I had to give it up. That's quality.

One of the problems I was having in Chapter 1 was with Higgins india ink I was using. It is not quite black; actually a watery dark grey. The scanner and Photoshop take offense to this. Oh, and Higgins bleeds out of technical pens and makes rough lines, it really is watery. I replaced Higgins with Bombay Black, which is darker but still troublesome. When I Threshold it chews the hell out of the brush strokes, even after some tinkering. I'm wondering if I want to shell out $10 for the expensive ink, since I already need to buy another brush and some pen cleaner. Is it high quality or is it just more expensive?
I'm using plain old printer paper instead of bristol board, at a 1:1 ratio. I'd like to be working at 1.5:1, as it looks tidier, but the scanner only scans up to 8.5x11". It takes more time to scan every page in 3-4 pieces and paste it back together.

I was told that my black&white comics look boring, and I should continue to work in color. It doubles effort and eats up bandwidth, but I'll think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment